Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Bored out of my gourd

Well the long weekend is now over and I'm back to sitting at my office computer (full time) as opposed to sitting at my home computer (part time). (BTW -- all of this sitting around is not doing anything positive for my butt, but that is a different post.) I am employed by a telecom company and review/negotiate agreements for a living. Yep, its just as exciting as it sounds. Think reviewing your real estate sales contract or rental agreement 500 times for five years! "Can we keep the refrigerator?" you might ask or "What if we break the lease, do we pay a penalty?" Except, now pretend that you are now negotiating the sale of telecom equipment rather than the rental or sale of your home (you didn't think it could get any less interesting, did you?). Well that is all of the glam stuff. Sorry, when I said I was an attorney, were you expecting Susan Day and Blaire Underwood - LA Law style courtroom drama? Not for this gal! I've given you all of the legal highlights! In fact, last week an admin in our office told me that I had the worse job here. Well, gee thanks!

I am a mere 26 days shy of my 5th anniversary with this company. We have gone through corporate restructuring, layoffs, pay reductions and downturns in the market. Yet, I am still here. And it's painful some days to get up and drag my aforementioned butt into the office. So why stay? Surely there must be countless opportunities for me out there? There are several perks about my current job - (1) limited supervision, that's right, at the moment I have the freedom to write in my blog with only the limited possibility of interruption; (2) convenience -- I live 15 minutes (I got here in 11 minutes today) from my office! How many individuals can make that claim? I am also only about 10 minutes away from the RE's office (and nope, they still haven't called back, see cyst post.) How great is that; (3) flexibility -- I pretty much walk in here between 9:30 and 9:50 am most mornings and no one bats an eye. (This is super for early morning ultrasounds and blood work); (4) confidence -- I know what I am doing b/c I've done it hundreds of times before; (5) stability -- I've been here forever, by today's standards anyway, who will know my job better than me; and finally (6) insurance coverage -- I began visiting my RE in January and so far I have paid a mere $10 per visit! That's a bargain.

What about excitement, challenges, enthusiasm, professional fulfillment? Not here! Other than being a mom, what would I do if I could do anything? Maybe I'd be an airplane pilot or a racecar driver (no wait, those are my 8 year old stepson's career aspirations). Maybe I'd be a therapist and counsel people like me, a tad off kilter but harmless and fun to be around. Or maybe I can sell my one of a kind homemade quilts? Who am I kidding, no one appreciates homemade gifts anymore. I'm almost 35 (in August, gasp!) and I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. Yikes, I'm in trouble. I guess I'd better stay put.

1 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Blogger K|nneret said...

I appreciate home-made quilts!! Are you kidding me? I started my baby blanket four months ago ... and still have 95% to do. :)

I can't effing BELIEVE they haven't called you back! I'd call, ask for the RE's voicemail and leave him a lil message stating how you've been waiting for *someone* to call you back ... GRRRR.
I work next door to them. Want me to key her car? ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home