Monday, September 26, 2005

One step down . . .

784,521 more to go.

You know the saying -- the longest journey begins with one step? Last Friday I moved one step closer to our first IVF cycle. I went to see Dr. NHB for a "Well Woman Exam" (ha! what do they know!) I was less than psyched to see Dr. NHB. He is generally pretty direct, not the warmest person in the world and extremely sure of himself (extremely). So I arrived at his office not expecting much in the way of bedside manner. I had my urine, weight (lost a couple of pounds!) and blood pressure (92 over 60) checked and was in to see Dr. NHB without much waiting.

He asked what the REs at Ginormous had in store for me. I told him that they, of course, shared his opinion that we seek IVF treatment and that I am hoping to start BCPs later this week followed by Lupron for a few days near the end of the BCP cycle. I also mentioned that I'd likely be starting stims the following cycle and told him that Dr. L had specifically suggested I begin with Follistim and Menapur. He seemed pleased and playfully commented about drugs with long names. (Where had the real Dr. NHB gone?)

I remarked that Dr. L advised me to have a pap smear prior to starting treatment and Dr. NHB was willing to oblige. I also mentioned that Dr. L had recommended a second HSG to confirm the absense of another hydrosalpinx. Dr. NHB assured me that there is no hydro in my remaining tube (and that my uterus is clean). In fact, he seemed pretty confused by the need for the test (as am I). Dr. NHB even stated that he thought his surgerical notes had been clear on this point. I agreed that his notes had been explicit that a second hydro did not exist and that Dr. L and I specifically discussed this matter but Dr. L felt the need to be certain. Dr. NHB joked (?!?!) "What do I know, I'm just a gyn and they're the experts." I never knew he had a sense of humor! (Could he have simply been relieved to be getting rid of me?)

I mentioned that things would probably start getting expensive soon and he seemed genuinely concerned. He even said that I have "a medical reason" for seeking IVF (as opposed to the elective IVFers, I guess). I assume he meant that it should therefore be covered by insurance. (Oh, Dr. NHB how naive you are, with your smiling family in all of those lovely photos all around your office). I share his hope that most of our IVF treatment will be covered but I am well aware of many, many couples, who desperately NEED IVF to treat their infertility and who do not receive any insurance coverage. So as confident as I am that we will receive some coverage (God bless the State Mandate!), I am also saddened that countless infertiles are 100% self pay or are simply unable to seek IVF treatment due to financial constraints and I just think that's painfully unfair. (As if infertility isn't unfair enough!)

Our discussion ended and I quickly had my exam. Following the exam, Dr. NHB wished me well, told me that I needn't come back for any additional follow-ups and said that I should "Go get pregnant" and "come on back. " I left his office feeling like, hmmm, maybe we will get pregnant (as if we actually have a say in the matter) and we'll return to Dr. NHB for (err, umm, dare I type it) prenatal care. Darn it, Hope is a powerful friend. (I'm sure that my next post will mark the return of the pessimist that you all know).

____________________________

Finally, I'd like to thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers about my in-laws. As you all know by now, Hurricane Katrina bypassed Houston. Therefore, my in-laws were not adversely affected by the storm. They spend Friday night and most of Saturday in the hospital, waiting out the storm and were able to return home by Saturday evening. We are extremely fortunate that they suffered no harm.

13 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Blogger Jamila said...

that sounds like a downright pleasant experience! Who would've thought that would be possible in this journey?

Congrats on having Step #1 out of the way.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger April said...

Sounds like a wonderful visit. Who knew those actually existed?

So glad that you have someone who's listening, who is willing to step up to the plate for you.

Keeping everything crossed that it's all soon over for you.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger P. said...

I am glad that the visit went well and that your family is safe!

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always feels good to check things off your list...glad that step one went so smoothly!

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So pleased you finally had a good doctor's appt. And very relieved to hear about your parents-in-law. So what happens next - do you do another hsg or not?

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

Thalia --

Thank for your question. I will be starting BCPs when my period arrives (hopefully, sometime later this week). Today is day 23 and my cycle is normally 26-27 days long, although my last cycle (first after lap) was 35 days long. So the schedule is not quite set yet. I am scheduled to have the HSG performed on Friday, Oct. 7th. So although it's not necessary, we are doing it. Oh, well.

CC

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Mellie said...

Glad that your relatives are all safe and sound AND that you had a nice visit with Dr. NHB. Onwards and upwards!

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger zhl said...

Glad to hear that your in-laws are safe. And that you are cleared to start, even if you do have to have a seemingly unnecessary HSG--oh the things we'll do. I'll be starting BCPs in a couple of days myself.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger OvaGirl said...

Yes good news re your inlaws and fab news that you are on the road! It's all happening now...good luck!

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that Dr. NHB has come around to being pleasant, and to listening actively... it's nice to have someone on your side.

Good luck with these next steps.

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Betty said...

Sounds like a great start, wishing you well on your journey.
Fingers crossed!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger lucky #2 said...

A Well Woman visit that is pleasant. Now that is something to celebrate!

Your journey is beginning. Yipee! That is so great you live in a mandate state. I am already mulling over moving to another state, or changing jobs to try to get coverage. Although, I have 2 more tries before that stage.

Good luck!

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that your in-laws are safe and that your doctor visit went well. It sounds like you are doing a great job of getting all your ducks in a row for your upcoming IVF cycle. I will be here, rooting you on and wishing you all the best as you go down this new path!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home