Thursday, April 13, 2006

Gynecological Train Wreck

My appointment today began with an ever so slightly hungover Dr. T and Ultrasound Techie J jovially entering my little u/s room joking about how many glasses of wine Dr. T had had at dinner last night. Dr. T joked that Techie J needed to watch her wand motion b/c he’d gotten dizzy from all of the follicles that the lady in the u/s room next door had had. ‘Hee Hee, hopefully’, he said, ‘Chee Chee, you will have a similarly high follicle count.’

Nope. Techie J inserted the dreaded dildo cam and looked at my right ovary and said hmmm. Then she moved to the left and said 'It looks like your left is your big producer with 1-2-3-4-5 follicles. (She stopped counting at 5!!!! FIVE, FIVE, MY BIG PRODUCER HAS 5? ) She then returned to the right ovary and noticed 2 follicles. Yep, a grand total of seven. All seemed too small to measure.

The rest of the exam was spend noting my host of uninvited guests including cysts, endometrioma (at least 2 now), fibroids, and the dreaded possible hydro (and for those of you who have been following along for a while, I too thought that was no longer an issue). Did I mention that my lining didn’t look particularly good either? Dr. T began by saying ‘There’s a lot going on in there.’ (Gee, thanks, now what do we do?) He then tried to provide some comfort by saying that women with endo often have a difficult time producing many follicles. Wonderful, is that like saying it’s not your fault that your body is the gynecological equivalent of a train wreck????

I guess it goes without saying that this was not my best day ever. Oh and by the way, today is our 4th wedding anniversary.

After commiserating with David and attending a series of meetings with some of our service providers, Supernurse called and told me that my estrogen level was also low (48) for 4 days of stimming. (Could there be anything else wrong?) She advised me that they are doubling my dosage of Menopur and taking me off Lupron. She also assured me that many women have difficulty stimming after an extended break. I assumed this very same thing, particularly given the BCPs.

Unfortunately, the reality of it is so much worse. I may have a difficult time stimming in general now. This may be indicative of future cycles. What if the endo is placing too much stress on my ovaries? What if age is becoming a major factor given everything else? What if this never works? So many questions and no answers.

I return to Ginormous on Saturday for the next round of tests.

11 Comments:

At 7:16 PM, Blogger avonlea said...

7 is not a bad start, it could increase. If it does turn out that you are a poor responder (like I was) they may just skip the lupron if there has to be a future cycle.

I'm sorry this first scan turned up some nasty surprises. Hoping the next one works out better.

 
At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry the scan appointment didn't give you better news. And on your anniversary no less. I hope you're still able to do something nice together.
Hopefully the tweaked protocol will do the trick.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger MoMo said...

First of all, Happy Anniversary!

Secondly, I am sorry to hear about the the u/s. I agree with Avonlea, I think 7 is not bad for a start. I hope the next one will be much better...I will be thinking of you!

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger ak1908 said...

Oh Chee Chee,
I am so sorry about the appointment. I wish that I could give you a huge hug and absorb some of the pain and disappointment you must be feeling now. We all know too well the disappointments of cycling and not having things turn out well. Keep your head up sister and know that anything is possible and nothing is impossible. I will be sending up some prayers for you tonight! I hope you and David took some time to enjoy one another on your anniversary. Despite all that's going on, Happy 4th Anniversary dear friend!!! ((((((((((((((((((((GIANT HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Jamila said...

Well, that just sucks. I'm sorry you didn't get better news at the appointment. Hopefully thing's will turn right around before the next one! Happy Anniversary!

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Lut C. said...

Happy anniversary. I hope you do something fun to celebrate.

That appointment sounds like a very unpleasant experience, especially the uninvited guests. I hope things pick up from here.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Donna said...

I know from experience it's terribly difficult to be stimming and get less than stellar results. There does seem to be a lot going on in there...I hope things turn around for this cycle.

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that you feel so disappointed about your appointment, Chee Chee. I hope and pray that things start going better for you.

I'm also sorry that this tainted your anniversary and hope that you were still able to celebrate it somehow and salvage the day a bit.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Happy Anniversary! Hopefully the cycle is not all lost and they are able to get some eggs out. Sending you positive thoughts!

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

I hope Saturday went a little better for you. I used to cry every time I left a wandmonkey appointment as the news was never good. I have to say though that I never ever had 7 follicles at any part of the game so you are going pretty good guns.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Thalia said...

7 is disappointing, but could still be ok - more seem to pop up quite frequently. Keeping my fingers crossed, I hope the anniversary turned out ok.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home