Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Master Injector

My dear David is great at doing my Lupron injections! Today was my third day of Lupron shots and I will admit to having been a bit concerned about his administering the shots (and he is kind of squeamish about needles), but he is a real pro! I tried administering my own Lupron yesterday and I ended up with a little lump just beneath my skin where the medication sat for a few hours (it turns out that I didn't inject the needle deep enough). Hopefully, that won't affect the outcome of this cycle (fingers crossed, ladies). Now I know that I'd best leave the injections to my expert.

In related news, we are scheduled to attend an IVF injection class at Ginormous Fertility Clinic this Friday morning. Although we are great at the sub-q injections (ok, I'm only great at receiving them but I think that counts, does it?), the intramuscular injections are a whole new ballgame. Despite the fact that I've been told that they really aren't so bad, I am not looking forward to the P.I.Ohhh injections! Does anyone use suppositories instead?

Finally, today is my last day on BCPs for now. I am concerned about the level of pain that I may experience from endo without the aid of BCPs, but there is no other way to achieve this end without putting the BCPs aside for now. Besides, Dr. L has assured me that I can take strong meds throughout the process to control the pain. Hopefully, they won't be necessary but it is good to know that they are available if and when I need them.

Good luck to all of you wherever you are in the process. I will continue checking in at your blogs.

12 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Blogger Thalia said...

I too am squeamish about the IM injections although the subq ones are a walk in the park. But no one has volunteered to teach us how to do them yet...

I hope the endo holds off for you - the bcps will surely have knocked it back a bit?

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Mellie said...

Chee - It's so good to see you back blogging - and especially to find yourself on the doorstep of IVF. I so hope this works for you! Doesn't pregnancy stem off endo?

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger lucky #2 said...

Thank goodness David can handle giving the shots! My DH is very squeamish about needles and had trouble watching me inject myself.

Wishing you the best luck this round!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

Thanks for the posts, ladies.

Thalia - I think that the BCPs have definitely relieved some of the pain from endo and maybe halted its progression. Without the BCPs, I hope that I can handle whatever happens next.

Mellie - I hope you enjoyed your trip! My gyno swears that pregnancy can not only relieve some of the pain of endo but also that the enlarging of the uterus can somehow "break up" the scar tissue. He insists that he did a lap on a patient with endo that was advanced as mine (stage 4) and that after two pregnancies, her pelvic cavity looked "great." He has strongly encouraged us to proceed with IVF. Very strongly.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger ak1908 said...

Chee Chee- I am praying that the IM shots are a breeze for you (coming from someone who H-A-T-E-S needles and almost passed out at the thought of having to give myself a Subq trigger). Anyway, I am convinced that we will be cycle buddies and I am convinced that we will both be visiting the PGIF board soon:)
Hoping and Praying for a Sistah!
Skee-Wee

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger MoMo said...

I hope the injections won't be so bad..I think I will be going down that road in the next month also. That's great that David is good at the shots! That's definetly a plus!

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you'll find it surprising how much you can do, I know I was suprised that my husband could do all of the mixing and injecting.

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are on the move and heavy drugs are available! Score! Good luck.

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Chee Chee. I'm feeling hopeful for you and wishing you all the best as you head into your IVF cycle.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Lut C. said...

I'm hoping to move on to injectibles soon, but not looking forward to the actual injections.

I'm glad to read you're coping with them well so far. Do tell how injection class goes.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger OvaGirl said...

Good on you chee chee, sounds like you are doing really well and good on David for being able to give the shots. My husband ended up giving me nearly all my shots which was great. I think it was good too for him to feel like he was a vital part of this process, we were sharing it.
Good luck with the IM injections. I had to use the Crinone gel (during the fresh transfer) and then used the pessaries for the FET. They were ok, drippy but ok.

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried doing my own lupron once and decided it wasn't really for me. J is far better. And being great at receiving injections definitely counts! I was worried about the PIO too but truthfully they aren't half as bad as I expected. From some of the suppository accounts I've read on blogs - I'll stick with PIO. Those things sound messy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home