Monday, April 24, 2006

Looking on the bright side

Friday's IUI went relatively well. For the first time, I was treated by the only female doctor at my fertility clinic and she was great. When she entered the room, she introduced herself and apologized for keeping me waiting. She asked me if I had any questions and then took the time to answer them all. After she inseminated me, she covered me up with my paper sheet. She really made me feel like an actual person, rather than another infertile body.

Later that day I received a call from my RE, Dr. L. He had been out of town on vacation last week, so he called to review the cycle and discuss steps moving forward. Dr. L has a metaphor that he likes to use to describe an IVF cycle. He likens it to having one foot on the brake and two feet on the gas. He agreed that my taking BCPs for so long may have acted as a second foot on the brake, thus impacting my ability to stim. However, he was reluctant to take BCPs out of my next protocol. Instead, if the IUI does not work (he has given us a 5-10% chance of success), I will take three weeks of BCPs and no Lupron. I will then start stimming with a higher dosage of Follistim and Menopur. He also recommends adding a GnRh antagonist to prevent premature ovulation.

Although one of the ultrasound technicians informed me that an IVF cycle with four or more mature follicles would go to retrieval, Dr. L would not commit to a retrieval with a low number of follicles for me at my age. He suggested that an older patient who’d already had a cancelled IVF cycle would be a more likely candidate for retrieval with only 4-5 follicles. Instead, Dr. L is hoping for at least a dozen mature follicles next time around with our new protocol. Finally, he expressed some concern about my lining and e2 levels. Hopefully, the upcoming IVF cycle (if necessary) will yield better results.

If our beta (scheduled for May 5th) is negative, Supernurse will email me our new protocol and will work us into the IVF schedule, stimming to begin in late May.

There is some comfort in knowing that we have a plan, in the likely event that we will need it. As always, thanks for all of your kind words of support.

16 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger Mellie said...

If Cinco de Mayo doesn't give you a great reason to celebrate, I think you've got an excellent plan to move forward with. It's nice to hear that the docs are being so proactive with you for an "if."

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger ak1908 said...

Hi,
I've been checking over here everyday waiting for an update from you. I'm glad things are looking a little brighter for you. Hopefully you won't need those next steps. I will be praying for you and David!!!!

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you have a great plan in place for another cycle, but like the other commenters, I am hoping that you won't need it.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger MoMo said...

Hopefully you won't need the next steps, and "if" you do, it sounds like you have a great plan. I am thinking of you...

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger zhl said...

I really hope that the IUI works, and you won't need the new plan. But how nice of your RE to call and discuss it with you. It's always good to have Plan B.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger lucky #2 said...

I definitely have good thoughts for this cycle and am glad you know what is next...the damn BCP plan...doesn't that tick you off to have to think about BCP when you are SO trying to have a baby? I had to use BCP between every cycle too and it finally worked for me. Let's hope you don't need BCP anytime soon!

In the meantime, instead of thinking about that plan, think about the "what if" plan!

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Eggs Akimbo said...

A plan is good. I know that when I had a plan of action it helped me focus and look ahead and feel like I was doing all that I could. Looking forward to the updates.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Nico said...

I'm really glad that you have a plan for the next cycle that you seem reasonably happy with.

Although hoping like hell that you don't need it!!!

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger beagle said...

Hi, just found your blog. Sorry for the stress, hope the IUI works and you don't need IVF#2, but if so . . . . sounds like a good plan. Good Luck!

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

I always have to have a Plan B and a Plan C, just to keep my sanity. I so hope that you do not need to get that far!

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger K|nneret said...

Hey Cheech - so glad you're back blogging - and sorry that this cycle hasn't been all you hoped for.
I'm really hoping that this IUI works for you!!

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Sparkle said...

Unfortunately with IF, you end up becoming a master of the 'bright side' and the plan B.

Fingers crossed, a percentage chance is a percentage chance.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger OvaGirl said...

good luck Chee Chee. Hoping for you.

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear the IUI went well and the RE treated you so kindly. It really is the little things.
The plan for moving forward sounds great as does Dr. L's hope for a better response. Though hopefully the plan will be totally unnecessary...

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Thalia said...

Chee chee I do hope this works. If not, the doctor's plan sounds ok - I have responded much better on the antagonist protocol, so perhaps it will help you, too.

But still, I hope you don't need it.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger ak1908 said...

Chee Chee,
One week down, only one to go!!! Where are you girl?!?!? Hope all is well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home