Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Six Weird Things About Me


As our two week wait drags on, I have nothing interesting to report. So instead of informing you of my random boob soreness and pelvic twitches (I know, they could be anything) I've decided to take up this meme and share some factoids about moi -

1) I am addicted to crafts and shopping for anything craft related. I quilt, I scrapbook, I love it! (See one of my creations above.) Crafting feeds my creative side in a way that my career feeds, well, I guess my job just allows me to eat. I can spend hours on the weekends strolling down the aisles of my local craft or fabric stores, hungry for interesting new items that will inspire me.

2) My parents are from, and have retired to, the Caribbean. I am fortunate enough to spend the holidays basking in the warm sun and lying on the beach, rather than freezing up here.

3) As a follow-up to #2, I hate being cold. A college buddy of mine, who is a medical doctor, recently diagnosed me with a condition called Raynaud's Phenomenon, whereby the blood flow to my fingers diminishes in the cold, resulting in the loss of feeling and color in my finger tips. Strangely enough, this can last for nearly an hour and has begun happening even during the Spring (like, eh, yesterday) when my house is chilly (60-65 degrees).

4) When I was a little girl, I used to get nauseated in the mornings, after getting dressed for school. I believe this went on for months. I would eat breakfast, get sick, throw up and go on to school. I was fine for the rest of the day. No one figured out why this happened, I suppose it was just nerves.

5) I nearly, accidentally, blew up the apartment in which we lived when I was a kid. My mom and I were baking (we usually baked cakes or pies on the weekends) and I turned on the gas stove b/c the recipe we were preparing called for a preheated oven. What I didn't know was that the pilot light wasn't lit, so when my mom opened the lower oven door and struck a match to light it, the force of the blast knocked my mom through the room. Fortunately, the gas hadn't been on for very long and she hadn't opened the main door to the oven. Otherwise, who knows what might have happened.

6) Both my mom and I worked in the World Trade Center and were present for the first bombing in 1993. She worked on the 96th floor of one of the towers and I worked on the 59th floor of the other. We both had to walk all the way down the stairs to exit the building. A group of colleagues and I were forced by Port Authority officials to stop at a cafeteria halfway down the stairs due to congestion in the stairway. Back then, the stairways were poorly lit and there was no functioning speaker system throughout the buildings.

In so many ways we were fortunate, while we were delayed we had no idea the buildings had been bombed, we thought they'd simply been struck by a small aircraft or that there had been a minor earthquake b/c the building actually shook. (In the early nineties, we had no cell phones and no way of communicating with the outside world). As we stared out the windows of the cafeteria and helicopters and emergency vehicles raced around, we actually believed that those buildings were indestructible.

By 9-11 my mom had retired and I'd moved on to another job in different city, but I will never forget the feelings of terror and outrage that I felt as those buildings went down. Sadly, my mom lost many former colleagues, but my old office suffered no deaths or major injuries. And even though I had been in my early twenties when I worked in the WTC, I felt like a part of my youth had been lost.

Gosh, this post turned out to be a downer. Here's hoping for good news on Friday.

15 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger MoMo said...

Chee Chee, thanks for sharing. I was secretly hoping you would! Just like you, I like crafting, I am a knitter, although I have a few unfinished projects! I've been banned from buying more yarn until those projects are completed! Darn!

Good luck on Friday. I will be thinking of you and praying that you get some good news! Hugs!

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Thalia said...

That quilt is beautiful, you are amazing! I just don't have the patience for making things like that, not the talent to be honest!

Hoping that friday brings good news.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Mellie said...

Chee - what a beautiful quilt! I'm so impressed! And gosh, I can't imagine having actually worked in the WTC. So glad you and your mom had moved on before 9/11.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Dramalish said...

Wow, Chee Chee, that's an amazing story about the WTC. I'm constantly taken aback by how personally affected so many Americans have been and continued to be...

As for the craftiness... I LOVE IT. Gorgeous, gorgeous quilt, by the way. Do you like crotchet? That's for me. I love to find someone else who bares their "ole lady"ness. My husband teases me that I should have blue hair and a shawl to complete the picture when I crotchet.

Hope the rest of the 2WW goes by fast.
-D.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger ak1908 said...

Chee Chee,
What a beautiful quilt!!! You've got talent girl! I was so saddened by your post about the WTC. DH and I had just moved to NYC exactly one month prior to 9-11 and it messed me up so bad, I was ready to move back home to the Midwest. I was completely afraid (as most everyone was) and wanted to have back my sense of security. We ended staying 3 years.

On another note- I really hope Friday brings good news for you and D. I'll be watching for a post. Do you still post on Resolve? I posted to you there a few days ago because I wanted to check on you.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger ak1908 said...

Chee Chee,
Two more days for you!!! Out of the night that covers me, black as a pit from pole to pole.... You know it!!! The excuses quote was from being on line also. I was so tickled when I saw the word "Invictus." Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm laying on my left side as I type. :)

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Donna said...

I can't get past the fact that your parents live in the Caribbean. I would be visiting them several times a year!

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Jamila said...

wow, what a gorgeous quilt! My mother would love for me to take that up, but for now I just crochet (joining the "old lady club" with dramalish).

Unbelievable story about the WTC.

Thinking of you this week!!

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger beagle said...

Love the quilt!

Enjoyed reading more about you.

Good Luck Friday!

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger ak1908 said...

No AF!!!!!!! Keep thinking positive unless you see otherwise.

We had I, me, my or mine, these are words that do not rhyme. Us, we, our, together, these are words that last forever. :) I am going to post on the Resolve board and put my email address in where it asks for it. Email me and then, I'll have yours:) Yay!!!

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger OvaGirl said...

Ooh that quilt is beautiful! Good luck for Friday...not too long now.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Eggs Akimbo said...

The quilt is amazing. Thinking of you for Friday.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger MoMo said...

Hi Chee Chee..just want to say I good luck tomorrow and that I am thinking of you! I hope you only get good news.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Nico said...

I am so hoping for good news for you tomorrow!!!

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Chee Chee. Your quilt is gorgeous! You're so talented! Thanks for telling us more about yourself.

I'm thinking of you today and praying that you will get good news.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home