Thursday, June 01, 2006

Cysts 5, Chee Chee 0

As you can probably gather from the title of this post, our baseline ultrasound and bloodwork on Thursday did not go well, to say the least. It seems that I have 5 large endometrioma or cysts (the technician could not definitively tell me how many of each I had). All five measured over 30mm and one was over 40 mm. Also, my estrogen level was over 600 and so we are on hold for, at least, another cycle. It's back on the pill on Wednesday and hopefully, things will look better in a few weeks. Needless to say, I was totally stunned. I didn't ask any questions, nor could I find any words at all. Thankfully, David was with me and had the presense of mind to ask some good questions like -- Could this have been caused by the stims from last cycle? Do we need another rest/suppression cycle? What are our next steps? I felt like (and still feel like) I am on a continuous road to nowhere.

As it turned out, things only went downhill from that point. I had the most excruciating menstrual pain in recent memory. I popped every type of pain pill in our house. I rolled around in agony for most of Friday and Saturday. I begged one of the doctors at Ginormous Fertility to prescribed something, anything, stronger than the stuff I had at home. Thankfully, mercifully, he did and two short hours later, I was on the road to recovery. I returned to Ginormous on Sunday morning for another scan and their thoughts on my situation. The doctor, who happened to be doing monitoring on Sunday morning mentioned that surgery (SURGERY!?!?) might be my best option. It just keeps getting better.

After learning of this weekend's events, Dr. L and Supernurse called today to check on me. Dr. L advised me to take the BCPs and return to Ginormous in three weeks for monitoring. He confirmed that it had been difficult to distinguish between the endometrioma and the cysts and that although the endometrioma would not be affected by the BCPs, the cysts should re-absorb. (We know that the endometriomas hadn't been so large and numerous at the start of my last cycle, so hopefully they are mainly new cysts and not new endometriomas). He also mentioned that the pain was "to be expected" given the cysts and extent of my endometriosis. That's easy for him to say with his male parts and office full of family photos! (Down, girl). So I made an appointment to return to Ginormous on Monday, June 26th. Dr. L is scheduled to do monitoring himself that morning.

In the meantime, my best infertile friend suggests that we travel to NY and seek second opinions with the fertility doctor to the stars. I am having difficulty making any sort of decision right now but maybe it couldn't hurt . . .

17 Comments:

At 6:35 PM, Blogger zhl said...

Oh, Chee Chee, what a horrible weekend. Hope you can find some answers soon. I too have been considering an RE in NYC. Maybe we could all get a place together? Can you imagine the fun of three women cycling together?

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger Sparkle said...

Holy moses what a nightmare!

A second opinion could be advantageous - but only if you don't think your people are really up there with the latest stuff?

Take care, I hope things settle down and you can get on and have a cycle.

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Nico said...

No, no, NO!!! I am so sorry that you're on hold for yet another month. I had to wait a few cycles because of cysts, so I know how much it sucks.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger MoMo said...

Oh Chee Chee..I am so sorry--this is horrible. I can't believe you have to wait another month. I've been thinking of you and checking your blog often to see any updates. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger ak1908 said...

Chee Chee,
I'm so sorry hon. It seems like you and D just can't catch a break. My heart absolutely melted when I saw the title of your post and then went down the drain when I read the entire post. Please know that I am here for you and will support you no matter what. I know that isn't much, but I hope it counts for something. Sometimes I wish I could just grab IF around the neck and choke the he** out of it!! Sorry about the anger-I'm just so sick of seeing IF eating my friends alive. I'm sending you (((((hugs)))) and I definitely think you should seek a second opinion!!!

 
At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My firt IUI cycle was cancelled becuase i ovulated prematurely. Next time they had to put me on hold, because i had ovarian cysts and they gave me the pill - big mistake, they had to cancelled that also, because i could not take it. Then I did not get my period for two months, becuase the interruption of the pill. Two months later I started getting ready for a next IUI cycle, they do the insemination and came back negative. Next cycle - could not start, becuase... yes you guess I had ovarian cysts! I finally decided to talk to the dr again and she thought the best path to follow would be IVF, becuase one of my tubes was blocked... Why didn't she think that from the beginning? My clock is ticking!
I just started the ivf cycle... and I totally understand the way you are feeling. Keep the faith, and I'll be praying for us!

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger K|nneret said...

Oh Chee Chee I am SO sorry to hear of all your pain, physical and otherwise. What a nightmare.

I am here if you need a shoulder to cry on. *hugs* and best wishes.

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Thalia said...

Oh chee chee endometriosis really is the pits, isn't it. I do hope those cysts are just cysts and not endometriomas. If they are it might be that surgery really is the best option, crappy as that sounds. I'll keep my fingers crossed until 26/6 for you.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Mellie said...

Chee - I'm so sorry that you're stuck waiting again AND that you had to suffer so much pain. Damn those cysts.

If you do come to NYC, I promise to take you to dinner & a show though.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger GLouise said...

Aww- that stinks! Waaah! There's nothing like getting blindsided with bad news.

Please keep us posted!

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Lut C. said...

I'm sorry to hear you've been put on hold again and that you're facing the prospect of surgery.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Eggs Akimbo said...

Second opinion can't hurt. I can't imagine the pain you must have ben in.

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no, Chee Chee. I'm so sorry to hear about the cysts and the menstrual pain. You poor thing. I hope that you feel better soon.

A second opinion isn't a bad idea. Sometimes two heads are better than one.

You're in my prayers.

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I'm late responding to this one but I'm so sorry about the cysts and the wretched pain.
A second opinion can't hurt - have you come any closer to a decision about that?
I will be hoping the next scan reveals things are much better in there.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Larisa said...

What a terrible time. Maybe a 2nd opinion would be worthwhile at this point? I hope things can smooth themselves out and you can actually get a cycle going.

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger ellie said...

Ouch! You have had a rough time! I just got bumped from IVF to IUI today-- so as I was wandering around blogs - I could relate to your.
I hope it gets better for you!

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Nico said...

Hey Chee,

How did Monday's appointment go? I really hope it wasn't more bad news.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home