Friday, June 30, 2006

To Stim or Not to Stim

I am awful about keeping up this blog, I know. I have spent much of the past few weeks deliberating over whether to postpone fertility treatments and seek treatment for my endometriosis more aggressively or give IVF another try. It has been a really hard decision. I haven’t been 100% since my lap last August and although the prospect of another, more invasive, surgery is daunting, the prospect of being “sub-well” indefinitely seems worse. I got a recommendation for an extremely well renowned gynecological oncologist. The idea there is that someone with experience dealing with severe conditions should be well equip to fix me right up. I have an appointment with her on August 1st.

In the meantime, I got the green light to begin stimming today at my baseline u/s and b/w appointment on Monday. I must admit that Dr. L didn’t give me much (any!) comfort about treating my pain nor did he seem to be completely on top of my case. I know, I know, there are so many cases that it’s impossible for these doctors to keep track but would it kill them to take two minutes to review the patient’s records prior to the exam rather than entering the u/s room completely clueless about the patient. I think I expect too much. Anyhow, of course, the endometrioma are still hanging around but the cysts are smaller. Also, Supernurse told me that my e2 level is much lower than last cycle.

In terms of pain, Dr. L had no answer but believed that the pain was understandable given the endometrioma, endometriosis and fibroids. He suggested that I return to Dr. NHB for a consult. (The suggestion that I return to my gyn for pain management while being treated for infertility made me feel like Dr. L was just brushing me off. I was not pleased.) Dr. L thought the idea of a gynecological oncologist would be a pretty effective route for treating my endo. Unfortunately, he advised against another surgery suggesting that it may result in diminished ovarian function. He suggested that pregnancy (HA!) may be the great miracle that cures my endo. Then he rushed off to his next patient.

When David and I walked out of Ginormous Fertility, I was pretty convinced that I would be hanging up my syringes for a few months. My best infertile friend and my parents encouraged me to focus on my health and leave the fertility treatment behind me for a while. David left the ultimate decision to me, giving me the pros and cons of both options but not weighing in on either.

So after much deliberation, I decided to go for it! I started stimming this morning with Follistim and will take more Follistim and Menopur tonight. If the next surgery may reduce our chance of success in the future and I don’t see the new doctor until August 1st anyhow, why not go for it now! What’s worse thing that could happen? I don’t stim well? Been there. I am in too much discomfort to make it to transfer? We’ll have to wait and see but for now I am running off to acupuncture and trying to stay positive this time around. As David said, this way I won't look back and question my decision not to pursue another cycle, if surgery somehow leaves me less fertile (as if that's possible). And I feel pretty good today too!

Thanks to all of you for checking in on me. You are awesome!

11 Comments:

At 7:44 PM, Blogger Donna said...

I'm glad you feel like you're getting somewhere, even if its for the short term. Why waste the time between now and your appt. on August 1? Take good care of yourself.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Nico said...

I think it's great that you're going ahead with this cycle. I think it makes total sense to do this now, before your 8/1 appointment. And I really hope that when it comes to that time, you don't need the appointment anymore!

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Lut C. said...

What a tough decision to make! I hope it all goes better than you could dream.

Would you like to be listed on Cyclesista? http://cyclesista.blogspot.com/
It's meant as a community resource so we know who's cycling when. Just let me know.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger sube said...

Chee Chee! It's so nice to hear from you. What tough decisions you have. I hope this cycle goes better than you ever hoped and that you won't need that appointment in August.

I have endo and fibroids, too. A year ago I had abdominal surgery to remove a 5-cm endometrioma in my right ovary and two 9-cm fibroids. If you want to talk more about it, I'd be happy to. Email me at foracrumbcakeATgmailDOIcom.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Spanglish said...

Of course it's not too much to ask for the damn doctor to check the chart before seeing you... but none of them seem to do that. Idiots. Even the good ones are idiots. I'm so sick of doctors.

Good luck with this stim cycle! I hope it is the cycle when your dream comes true.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Em said...

Great to hear from you. Best of luck with the cycle.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Beagle said...

You are NOT asking too much that your doc have a clue when s/he walks in the room to examine you. Sadly, it's not that uncommon that they just don't bother.

Good Luck with this cycle . . . I will be cheering you on!

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger MoMo said...

Chee-Chee--it is so nice to hear from you. This is such a tough decision to make--I hope this cycle goes well and you can cancel that August 1st appointment! Thinking of you!

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger K|nneret said...

Hey Cheech - I'm so glad you posted. Sorry Dr L is being an ass. I also have the name of an excellent gyn/onc if you want a second opinion (he's in B'more, though).
Good luck with this cycle and hoping for only the best results! :)

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Jamila said...

Your logic makes perfect sense. It always helps to Have A Plan, and it sounds like you have one for the near future that you have made peace with. Good luck!

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Malualkon musings said...

There's a nutritionist called Dian Shepperson Mills who believes she can 'cure' endo and get women pregnant through dietary changes and supplements. Her website is www.endometriosis.co.uk. After having surgery and it not working I am trying this way. We'll see what happens! Good luck to you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home