Thursday, June 16, 2005


David and I met Surgeon B for a surgical consult. He was extremely nice and professional. He sat with us and answered all of our questions. We didn't feel rushed at all. I'll call him Dr. Patience. Dr. Patience knew that I have fibroids, in addition to the hemmoragic cysts, so he decided to do an impromptu u/s and SHG to review the landscape and confirm the location of the fibroids.

During the u/s, we saw the 4 cysts, 2 on each ovary. The two on the left ovary are most likely hemorragic and therefore they must be removed. They are characteristic of endo, so that will have to be removed too. Dr. Patience then examined my uterus. He assured us that the fibroids were not in my uterine cavity, therefore he recommended leaving them alone. At that point, there were no surprises.

And then Dr. Patience saw an elogated cloudy image on the u/s monitor.

He thinks it's a hydrosalpinx. And he recommended removing one of my fallopian tubes.

We were stunned.

My Gyn performed an HSG in Sept '04 and my tubes were both fine. How could I have a hydrosalpinx now?!?! How did we get here??? I know that if one of my tubes is removed during the lap, my regular RE will recommend that we move straight to IVF (I turn 35 in August). I just don't know what we'll do . . .

Tomorrow David and I meet with Dr. Terrific for a second opinion. We will just have to wait and see if his opinion differs from that of Dr. Patience. Will he recommend another HSG, even if he doesn't we should probably have one (thanks Kinneret) to see if the results are consistent with the u/s. Also, should we get a third opinion? I just don't know what will happen next.


At 11:04 PM, Blogger Internal Spring said...

Wow. Stunned indeed. Get all of the opinons you need to feel really certain and comfortable with your next step.

I think I'd need a lot more than thinks he sees...

At 11:20 AM, Blogger Mellie said...

Oy. Unwelcome surprise. Take it one step at a time and only move ahead when you are ready to. We'll be eagerly awaiting Dr. Terrific's assessment. Good luck.

At 4:21 PM, Blogger K|nneret said...

Nu? What did Dr T say? I'm waiting :)


Post a Comment

<< Home