Thursday, July 20, 2006

Marriage Meltdown

Thanks for all of your expressions of concern. Nope, I wasn't hit by a bus on the way to transfer, not literally anyhow.

On Tuesday night, David and I had a total marriage meltdown - the day before the transfer. We yelled, we argued, I shoved. He expressed concern about my feelings for his son and how he'd be affected by our offspring. He panicked. He told me to either do the transfer or not but he wouldn't be there. We stopped speaking. I felt completely abandoned and I didn't know what to do.

I called Ginormous on the morning of the transfer and told Dr. L what was happening. Should we contemplate having a child, while possibly, simultaneously, contemplating divorce? I cried. Dr. L said that we had 2 pretty good embryos, an ok one and a not-so-good one. He offered us the option of doing a day 4 transfer and the option of speaking with one of their counselors. I accepted on both counts. I spoke with the counselor for a while, with no resolution. I spoke with my therapist and my best friend and got some advice. I confronted David on Wednesday evening, with the hope of brokering a compromise to get us to transfer. Despite my attempt at a resolution, he had nothing to say about the embryos, no questions about whether I had gone through with the transfer and continued ignoring me. At that point, I knew it was over.

Supernurse called me on Thursday morning to confirm that we were proceeding with the day 4 transfer. I told her that I'd decided to cancel and asked that the embryos be frozen. I broke down and wept. Dr. L called later that day and he said that I'd probably made the right decision, given the circumstances. He also mentioned that if the embryos didn't make it to blast/freeze, they probably wouldn't have successfully implanted and made it to term. He said that he would have suggested transferring 3 of the 4 embryos - as our best chance of success. He expressed regret about the cycle, given all of the difficulty we'd had. He mentioned that years ago another couple he'd been treating cancelled on the day before transfer. I asked if they'd ever returned for treatment and he said they never had.

I was both furious and heartbroken. With a brief email informing David of my departure, I flew out of the country on Saturday morning and am currently visiting my parents. (My parents' internet access has been down until today.) My parents have given me their full and unconditional love and support. Since I've been down here, David has called. He initially expressed anger about my unannounced and abrupt departure but ultimately expressed his hope that I return and that we try to work things out. I return to the States on Saturday. I am still sad, angry, hurt and raw. I think this offense is almost unforgivable, especially since he's been encouraging me to get treatments and he convinced me to proceed with this cycle, despite my reservations. I don't know what we'll do or how I want to proceed. Divorce is a sad option but where do we go from here? Counseling? How long am I willing to wait?

Lastly, I received my final fert report on Monday morning - none of the embryos made it to freeze.

Monday, July 10, 2006

An Awesome Foursome

Supernurse called me around 2:00pm today and informed me that of our six eggs, 5 were mature and 4 embryos continue to develop today. She will call again tomorrow with our updated fertilization report and instructions about the Day 3 transfer. It's amazing to think that we have four potential lives growing in a lab. The wonder of it humbles me.

Sunday, July 09, 2006


Today's egg retrieval went pretty well. We arrived at Ginormous at 6am. The nurse checked my id and led us to the procedures area. We were taken to the first bed station and I was asked to undress and slip on a lovely hospital gown. An IV was started, questions were asked, information about the procedure, ET, and meds were passed along. Then I was told to empty my bladder and was led to the OR. David was taken to a separate waiting area and subsequently asked to produce his sample.

Ours was the first retrieval this morning and proceeded without incident. One moment I was being seated in the OR and the next I was being awakened in our little station. I was told that Dr. T had retrieved six eggs and that I will receive our first fertilization report tomorrow around lunchtime. Dr. L mentioned that, if all goes well, he is leaning toward a 3 day transfer (Wednesday).

This is the farthest we've ever gotten and I'm nervous, excited and scared. Will this actually work? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Case of the Disappearing Follicles

This cycle has just raced by. Given the megadoses of stims that I have taken, my follicles have grown very quickly. Unfortunately, they have not grown at a uniform pace. At yesterday's monitoring appointment (Day 8 of stims), I had eight follicles between 12.3 mm and 25.2 mm. Unfortunately, only three are in the 17.1-17.8 range. THREE! The rest are under 16 or over 23mm. I am really worried that all but three follicles will yield overly mature or immature eggs. And even though we are ICSI'ing those little eggies, we don't seem to have much room for error.

I am also concerned that a couple of follicles have seemed to have vanished for no particular reason.

  • On Wednesday, we had ten follicles between 9.5 and 19.7 mm.
  • On Thursday, I had nine follicles between 10.9 and 22.9 mm.
  • By Friday, we were down to just eight follicles.


I have had the same technician perform all of my u/s and when I asked both the technician and Dr. L what could account for my diminishing follicle count, I was told that often the smaller ones reabsorb. Also, I was told that the smaller ones aren't measured every day. However, the ones that have vanished weren't small, I had an 18 mm vanish between Thursday morning and Friday morning. Why is this happening???? With such a small output, I don't have the luxury of losing any mature follicles.

I can only assume that one of the following is happening - they are measuring endometrioma and mistakenly, assuming they are follicles. Perhaps, as they get larger, it is easier to determine that they aren't follicles. This isn't a good theory, b/c if they are mistaking endometrioma for follicles, I might have even fewer good follicles than we think. My other theory is that perhaps given the position of my ovaries and the endometrioma, it is not always apparent where the follicles are, so that one or two may be more difficult to find from one day to the next. If this is the case, we may be pleasantly surprised by an extra egg or two tomorrow. I hope really hope the latter is the case.

At 7pm yesterday, David triggered me without incident. This morning David, Jerry (9 yo stepson) and I ran some errands. Since returning home, David has been downstairs cooking up a storm and has banished me to the bedroom to nap. I am really tired today. I am not sure why I am so tired, but I can only assume that it is b/c my ovaries are in overdrive! This evening, David will drop Jerry off with his mom. (Obviously, no kids allowed tomorrow.)

Tomorrow morning at 6am, we are scheduled to arrive at Ginormous for my first egg retrieval scheduled for 7am. Dr. L informed me that he will not be doing my ER but assured me that all of his colleagues are extremely experienced and that I have nothing to worry about. OKAY! I'm not worried. (Yeah, right.)

So wish us luck. We are hoping for some good news.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Quick Update

Today's monitoring appointment went pretty well. It was my sixth day of stims (I also began taking Ganirelix on Monday to prevent early ovulation). I had ten follicles ranging in size from 9.5-19.7 mm, the majority of which are in the 11-14 range. Dr. L suggested that I continue to stim tonight, return to the office tomorrow. I suggested that I would trigger on Friday night and do my retrieval on Sunday. He realizes that the larger follicles (17.6 and 19.7) will most likely produce overly mature eggs on Sunday but he hopes that the small to medium sized follicles will yield a few good eggs.

I'm hoping for the best.